Friday, February 4, 2011

Living and Loving


Walking in the Word


34 But when the Pharisees heard that He had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together. 35 Then one of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, and saying, 36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?”
37 Jesus said to him, “ ‘You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' 40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”  Matthew 22: 24-40



Applying the Word


There's a game my younger son Jake likes to play.  He loves for me to play, "Guess Which Hand It's In?"  The game is quite simple.  He puts something like a quarter in one hand and ask me to guess which one it's in.  I like it when I'm right but he loves it when I'm wrong.  He likes to trick his Dad.  The Pharisees where a bunch of "religious leaders" who could not accept Jesus for who He was - The Son of the Living God.  Here we see the Pharisees attempt to "trick" Jesus.  But what they actually received was the Great Commandment.  A commandment that is etched onto every believers heart today.  How much are we to love God?  With everything we have in us.  And after we do that, we are to love those around just like we love ourselves.


Praying Through the Word


Dear Father, I am amazed by what was read today.  Jesus didn't just rebuke the Pharisees but gave them a commandment that would endure forever.  Please help me to love You more today than yesterday and more tomorrow than today.  Your love is rich and quenches my every desire. Help me to be an example to those around me asI faithfully love You.  In Jesus' Name, Amen & Amen.


Memory Verse  

11 Your word I have hidden in my heart,
         That I might not sin against You.   Psalm 119:11




No comments:

Post a Comment