Wednesday, February 9, 2011

What will you be doing?


Walking in the Word

36 “But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven,[a] but My Father only. 37 But as the days of Noah were, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. 38 For as in the days before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, 39 and did not know until the flood came and took them all away, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. 40 Then two men will be in the field: one will be taken and the other left. 41 Two women will be grinding at the mill: one will be taken and the other left. 42 Watch therefore, for you do not know what hour[b] your Lord is coming. 43 But know this, that if the master of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched and not allowed his house to be broken into. 44 Therefore you also be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.  Matthew 24:36-44

Applying the Word

I have always loved firetrucks.  I love the sheer size, the colorful flashing lights and the mission they were made for.  The mission to respond to emergencies and put out fires.  When I was younger man, I served as a Volunteer Firefighter and Emergency Medical Technician (EMT).  I still remember practicing putting on my turnout gear.  That's the boots, pants and bib overalls, jacket, hood and helmet.  It had to be done in record time.  To accomplish this, we would put our pants over our boots and jacket.  When the signal would given, you simply stepped into your boots and then pulled up your pants and overalls.  That simply left the jacket, hood and helmet which could be put on inside the firetruck.  Firefighters, EMTs, and First Responders live a life of "readiness."  They train and practice their skills and live their life with a sense of "expectancy."  And that's how we ought to be living our life as well.  No, you're not running to a fire or to the seen of a car crash.  But you are waiting for the eminent and long awaited return of Jesus!  We must too live a life of "readiness" as we spend time in the Word of God, on our knees talking with the Father and worshipping one with another.  The Book of Hebrews tells us to do this more and more as the day of Jesus' return grows closer.  Are you living your life with a sense of "expectancy!"

Prayerful Response to the Word

Oh Father, there are many things I could be doing or even maybe want to do.  Please give me an unquenchable hunger for your mighty Word.  Thank You for the sweet fellowship of prayer as we speak one with another as well as the times of worship at Plant City's FBC.  Please forgive me when I assume the return of Your Son would never happen today.  Help me and those I love to be ready.  May You find us being faithful at your return.  Father, today I lift up my friends Mike Storter and Mary Hallman.  God I pray for your healing touch in their lives and may they receive a special dose of your mercy and love today.  In Jesus' Name, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment