Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Payday

Walking in the Word

Luke 9:57-62 
  
57 Now it happened as they journeyed on the road, that someone said to Him, “Lord, I will follow You wherever You go.”
58 And Jesus said to him, “Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head.”
59 Then He said to another, “Follow Me.”
But he said, “Lord, let me first go and bury my father.”
60 Jesus said to him, “Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and preach the kingdom of God.”
61 And another also said, “Lord, I will follow You, but let me first go and bid them farewell who are at my house.”
62 But Jesus said to him, “No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.”

Responding to the Word

Admit, Believe and Confess.  The ABC's of the Gospel.  Admit to God that you're a sinner.  I agree, we all must confess our sins to the Father.  Believe that Jesus is the Son of God.  Absolutely!  Confess my faith in Jesus as my Savior and Lord.  I could not agree more.  But whats up with the foxes and birds?  Jesus said that to follow Him, you must be willing to give it all.  Jesus wasn't being a bully and pushing people away from Him, but trying to communicate a very important truth.  And what was that truth?  Accepting and following Jesus is more than a simple one time prayer.  It's asking Jesus to change your life and help you unconditionally love and follow Him.

Praying Through the Word

Father, So much of Your Word is lovely and edifying to read.  Today's passage is difficult.  Help me to follow Your Son each and every moment of my life.  To give Him first place in what I say and do.  Please give me eyes to see and ears to hear Your good and perfect will.  I rejoice in that You indeed hold the plans of my life in Your hands.  In Jesus' Name, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment