Thursday, April 14, 2011

Who's My Friend?


Walking in the Word

Luke 10:25-29 (New King James Version) 

25 And behold, a certain lawyer stood up an
d tested Him, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?”
26 He said to him, “What is written in the law? What is your reading of it?
27 So he answered and said, “ ‘You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind,’ and ‘your neighbor as yourself.’
28 And He said to him, “You have answered rightly; do this and you will live.”
29 But he, wanting to justify himself, said to Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”


Responding to the Word

Yesterday, my son Jake told me an awesome story.  He said that he made friends with a boy in his class who has "problems."  This boy apparently gets in fights with his class mates and usually ends up playing by himself.  My son explained that he too was on the "friends" side until he notice the boys problems.  After getting to know him, Jake said that he had made a new friend.  "If feels better to be a friend to someone than to make fun of him."  I was extremely proud of my son for realizing this on his own.  Jesus said that it was easy to help your friends.  But what about your enemies?  What about the boy or girl who has "problems" in your class?  So who is your neighbor?  It's the one that God lays on your heart.  It's the one that may have only a few friends and needs a couple more. 

Praying through the Word

Father, help me to love those I meet.  Help me to love my family, friends and even the stranger that needs a helping hand.  I know this is possible because you have loved me, a sinner that deserves nothing good from You.  And because you have loved me, I too can love others.  In Jesus' Name, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment