Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Surviving the Storm


Walking in the Word



Luke 6:46-49

46 “But why do you call Me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do the things which I say? 47 Whoever comes to Me, and hears My sayings and does them, I will show you whom he is like: 48 He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock. 49 But he who heard and did nothing is like a man who built a house on the earth without a foundation, against which the stream beat vehemently; and immediately it fell. And the ruin of that house was great.”

Responding to the Word

I had a really cool dog when I was a kid.  He was a mut named Bumbus mine-in-shoe Blink.  I can't really say where his name came from but that was it in it's entirety.
I remember a time when Bumbus decided to go swimming in some concrete.  My dad had dug the deep foundation for an addition for our expanding family and as the concrete was being poured, Bumbus decided to take a dive.  It was OK.  A sponge and good garden hose took care of it.  So why did my dad have to dig a deep foundation (trench around the perimeter of the home)?  Well, he wanted the addition to stand and not fall down.  Jesus said we're like that with our lives if we hear His instruction and follow it.  Some people mistakenly think this teaching of Jesus is talking merely talking about making decision to follow Jesus.  Jesus said, "Whoever come to Me, hears my sayings and DOES them."  It's more than just a one-time decision to follow Jesus, it's about continually hearing His voice from the Bible and following His instruction.  Then, you too will be standing on a "good" foundation.

Praying in the Word

Father, The world around me can be a scary place.  I am still praying for those in Japan who's lives have been impacted by that devastating Tsunami.   I know there will be tsunamis that will come into all of our lives at some point.  Help me to read Your Word and obey it's teachings.  Father, I know your ways and plans and FAR better than anything I can plan.  In Jesus' Name, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment