Thursday, March 31, 2011

Tempting Thoughts

Picture of a child resisting one marshmallow in order to get three.

Walking in the Word


Luke 4

 1 Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, left the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness, 2 where for forty days he was tempted by the devil. He ate nothing during those days, and at the end of them he was hungry.
Responding to the Word

So why did I post that cute little boy holding the marshmallow?  Temptation.  The above study wanted to see if children could resist eating one marshmallow in order to get more.  Most didn't.  The Bible says that Jesus was "led" into the desert just after baptism.  Led into temptation!  God led His son to be tempted by the devil in order to teach us that we too can stand against temptation.  And what did Jesus use to defend himself against the trio of temptations?  The Word of God.  The same Word of God we have today.  So the next time you're tempted and feel the urge to give in, remember His Word and realize that He will indeed make a way out.  And that's some pretty good news!

Praying in the Word

Father, I know the temptations that Jesus faced are different from the ones I face.  And yet, I realize that by giving in I give credit to Satan and sin against You. Please deliver me from all temptation and keep me from evil. I praise and give honor to the Father, the Son and Holy Spirit.  Thank you for such a deep and meaningful prayer meeting last night.   In Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment