Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Leaving It All Behind


Walking in the Word

Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.  For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.  For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?  Matthew 16:24-26

Applying the Word

When I served as a North American Missionary in Maine, I met a man named Arther Blessing.  He was walking up the North Eastern part of the United States carrying a cross.  Yup, that's what I said.  He was carrying a cross.  He did this to draw attention to the suffering and cost that our Savior paid for us on the cross of Calvary.  But that is not what Jesus is saying here.  He said to deny yourself - Ask God what He wants in your life.  Take up your cross - Be ready for what the world can throw at youNot everyone is going be happy that your a ChristianAnd follow Me - Make it like "follow the leader" and Jesus is the Leader.

Praying Through the Word

Dear Lord, Thank You for a beautiful morning.  The sun is just starting to break and I know it's going to be wonderful day.  Father, thank you for loving me and my family and for the mercy and forgiveness you continually offer.  Thank you for being with my son Billy yesterday and for the mighty work you did in our family.  You are good.  Please help me to see if I put anything before You.  Help me to hear your voice and always answer with a resounding "Yes Lord, I will!"  In Jesus' Name, Amen

Memory Verse for the Week


Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
      And lean not on your own understanding;
      In all your ways acknowledge Him,
      And He shall direct[ your paths.  Prov. 3:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment